Saturday, July 01, 2006

Did this just really happen?

It has been announced that the Bucks have traded TJ Ford to Toronto for Charlie Villanueva and cash. I am just stunned at this, stunned. Not only that the move was done to deal Ford, but at what we got in return.

Now, before I get into this, I will admit that I have been a supporter of TJ Ford. I like him, and he's an inspirational story on how he came back from injury. I think he still has a bunch of potential and will miss him.

However, for us to get Villanueva for him is a frickin' steal. He's just completed his rookie season and was avg 13pts and 6 reb/game for Toronto. He has so much more upside than Ford it's ridiculous. He is a legit PF that the Bucks have needed. Now Bogut can move to his natural position of C, which kicks Magloire out of there (thank heavens). Villanueva is a physical, big boy that is going to explode next year, bank on it. I don't know if the management in Toronto was still drunk from drafting Bargnani #1 overall, but they made a huge blunder here. They not only gave us a better player than Ford, but cash... CASH!.... as well. It's like someone offering you a 20oz juicy T-bone and $10 for your double cheeseburger from McDonald's, a no-brainer.

The Bucks had a logjam at PG with Ford, Williams and Bell and one of them had to go. Williams has better instincts and shooting ability than Ford and Bell is a fantastic defender who doesn't make many mistakes, so Ford was the obvious choice to go with being a defensive liability. The Bucks are set just fine at PG without him.

Another reason I like this move is that it shows that Harris is not afraid of trading a former top pick, admit he's not working out, and improve the team. Gotta love a GM who thinks in the overall benefit of the club and not let emotional ties to players get the better of him.

First, we get rid of that crappy purple color scheme, then we get a fantastic true #4, now all that's left is to dump Magloire on some team for I don't know, a couple extra beer vendors, and my 4th of July weekend will be perfect.

For some other great commentary on this trade and the Bucks in general, check out Bucks Diary by Sky Hook. He does a fantastic job.

2 comments:

Cheesehead Craig said...

I am still grinning about getting Charlie. The Bucks just took a huge stride towards being a real good team... HUGE stride.

Sam, love the Katie Couric stuff!

Ty Will said...

Craig:

Your retort in Bucks Diary is about the best retort I have ever read. (Then its a good thing we didn't...)

Well done! I'm still laughing.