Thursday, February 17, 2005

Cup O' Brew

Time to talk about America's favorite baseball team, the Brewers! WI sports are in a bit of a lull right now, but with spring training starting only 2 days away for the Brewers, it seems proper to talk about them. That, and I got nothing else right now.

I just have to say, I love the new owner, Mark Attanasio, not in a SF Bay area kinda man love, but you get my meaning. Not only has he increased the payroll by 50%, but he has washed away that icky, Selig feeling from the team. Ticket sales are up and he has already increased the ticket revenue this year. He is doing all he can to bring the Brewers' revenue up. He is even thinking "outside the box" (anybody else sick of this phrase?) by considering tearing down several of the unsold suites for a standing area with a martini bar. A martini bar, in Miller Park? Wow! I mean, who did he consult on this, Thurston Howell III? I just recently had my first martinis this past weekend, and I am all for this now. I felt like James Bond, I felt smooth, I went home with the girl, she even moaned "Oh, James". Hmm, not so sure on that last part. Anyway, Mark had a great quote in a recent meeting with the Milwaukee business leaders. "We are not looking to be in the middle of the pack in anything, we're really trying to be the best in everything." I frickin' love this! He's not giving the whole "we're gonna be competitive" crap lines you hear. Hell no! He knows he's in a small market area, but doesn't care. He's reaching for that brass ring, that supermodel, that Mercedes Benz S600 sedan... Ok, he's probably got that last one, the lucky bastard. I wonder if my wife will let me rename my son after him?

With Mark leading the charge, I am expecting great things from the Brewers. Baby steps first, a record over .500 this next season would be great. Haven't had one of those since Bush Sr was president. Sorry, didn't mean to bring him up, won't happen again. But needless to say a division crown and a World Series championship cannot be far off! As the motto of the great state of WI says: "Forward"! I know, many of you thought it was "It's $3 a cup and the keg is over by the credenza", but you're wrong. I was too, I had to look it up. Amazing what one finds out on the web.


Tune in for more Brewer news in future segments of Cup O' Brew.

4 comments:

SBG said...

America's favorite team? Don't sell them short! They are the World's Favorite Team! :)

Anonymous said...

I was just saying to my wife yesterday that by saying that you are "thinking outside of the box" you are now squarely inside the box.

I expect good things from the Brewers this year. It must be fun to be a fan of Wisconsin sports. No stadium issues, no ownership issues, just plain sports. It makes me sick.

Shane

Cheesehead Craig said...

You got that right Shane. Selig is gone, and life seems so much better. The Packers have no ownership issues. I daresay they have the best situation in the NFL, although Kraft is one hell of an owner. The Bucks have been for sale for a while, but Herb Kohl is still a heck of a standup guy, but has just made some bad contracts and has to live with them.

Life is very good in Cheeseland, Shane. No reason you cannot come back.

SBG said...

Stop by tomorrow. I think you will like it.