Wednesday, February 02, 2005

Driver's Seat

Well, Donald Driver sure created a stir with his comments on Favre retiring. Here's a part of the story:

“I said that I think Brett is going to retire,” Driver said. “It’s my opinion that he will. If he doesn’t, I want him back as soon as possible. But just knowing Brett, when it’s all said and done, he will retire.”

After arriving back from Jacksonville last night, Driver stated the following:

“Your heart says, he’ll come back and play until my career is done,” Driver said. “But sooner or later, he has to retire, and that’s what’s on my mind right now that he will retire. I don’t know what he’s going to do, but I’m still sticking with my mind, and my mind says he will retire.”

Driver said he didn’t intend to create a stir by making the comments, but later realized that anytime someone suggests that one of the best players in franchise history is going to retire, it’s going to get a lot of attention.


“I started getting calls where people were asking me if I said that Brett was going to retire,” Driver said. “I knew it was going to get out of hand then.”

While Driver said he thinks Favre will retire, he made it very clear that he hopes that’s not the case.

“Brett knows I love him to death,” Driver said. “I just said that from friend to friend that I think he will retire.”


He also went on to say that it was his opinion, and just like everybody else, he's entitled to it. Let's look at the facts: Brett had a hell of a painful and emotional family year in the last 12 months. His dad dies, his wife is diagnosed with breast cancer, and her brother dies on his ranch in an ATV accident. Combine all this with his playoff meltdown against the Vikes and it sure is not a stretch that he will retire. It's been 14 yrs in the NFL, 13 as the resident diety in GB.

Granted, Sherman telling him he has until March 2 to let them know is not the best scenario, but Mike has to look out for the team, so I don't have much problem with that.

Personally, I think Favre will be back, assuming nothing further happens to his wife or God forbid, something with his children. Just like everybody else, I'm just guessing. There actually was a rumor about Hasselbeck coming back to GB if Favre leaves. The Pack sure could do worse than that. Although if Favre does retire and the Packers do not get a FA signing, I have a great deal of confidence in Craig Nall. We have a month from today to know what's up for sure. I'm hoping for at least 1 more season by the man, the myth, the legend.

WAS IT REALLY A SURPRISE?
The Bucks beat the Wolves last night at the Bradley Center. The Bucks have beaten better teams like this during the season at times. The Wolves cannot seem to beat anyone from the Eastern Conference this year, and have problems putting together more than 3 good games in a row. I'm sure SBG will agree with me on this and also the title of this story. I am very happy that the Bucks won, plus who would have thought that Joe Smith would have almost outplayed KG. But I've seen this trend this season where they beat a good team, then lose to 3 crappy ones.

1 comment:

SBG said...

The only thing that would be surprising about the Wolves this year is that they would start to play well.