Tuesday, April 12, 2005

Home Opener

Wow! 465 ft HR by Branyan! Then he follows that up with a 399 ft shot! You gotta be kidding me! I knew Branyan had power, but he's drawing walks and getting other hits as well! I'm just going to put an exclamation point after every sentence I write about Branyan! He's paid off in spades so far!

A great job by the pitching staff as well for the Crew. Davis wiggled out of some jams and it was quite fun following the game on-line at work (when I could mind you). It took me a while to come to believe in Davis (look at his picture would you?), but I'm a solid supporter of him this year. Good pitchers find a way to get out of jams and he is doing exactly that and not getting flustered and making things worse. Been a while since you could have said that about a Brewers starting pitcher.

Where there's smoke...
Two weekends ago, I lit my gas grill for the first time in a while to celebrate the warm weather by grilling some steaks for the family. I went back inside to see if I could help with any other dinner preparations while the grill heated up. After about 2 minutes, my wife noted a lot of smoke coming from outside as the grill is right outside our kitchen/eating area. I went outside and lifted the cover off the grill and was promptly greeted by a fireball the size of most VW Beetles.

The grill lid was on fire, the grates were, even the sides of the grill were bursting in flame. I immediately turned off the gas and simply stood in amazement at the Las Vegas style fire display. I was waiting for some tiger to run by and jump through this. My wife comes out with the fire extinguisher, just in case as we watch this burn. My kids are watching from a window by the grill and my son in a very rare moment while he is awake is just speechless. We decide to close the lid to lessen the chance of a reunion with the fire department from last year's block party. Upon doing so, the flames then shoot out the crack in the back of the grill where the hinge is and then I realize how stupidly close the grill was to my house. Seeing several paint bubbles start to form and get bigger, I open the lid again to direct the flames upward instead of at my house. At this point, the fire is now only visible from low flying planes.

After about another minute, all the flames are now gone along with 85% of my eyebrows. I re-light the grill just to see if I can tempt fate and not have myself blown across the nearby golf course. (Yes, my wife would have happily shouted 'Fore' as I flew through the air). There was no reoccurence of the fireball and the grill worked perfectly fine after that.

Moral of the story: Grilling is far more fun than one ever thinks it could be.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hilarious! I thought you were sending smoke signals with all that smoke pouring out. I wish I could have seen the show!

SBG said...

Ye-ouch.

Anonymous said...

You have to actually clean the grill every now and then. I know that cleaning is not in the lexicon of most Packer fans so they may be hard for you.

Every now and then (especially after cheeseburgers) my gas grill will have a little burn left on the flavorizer plates that catch all the drippings and such. I bet that's what happened to yours but to a much greater extent.

Oh, never ask The Wife about my turkey fryer incident.

Mr. Cheer Or Die