Wednesday, April 05, 2006

Packers news and gifts

Well, let's see what's up with America's Team, the Green Bay Packers lately:

The Packers have brought in Charles Woodson as a potential starting CB, replacing Carroll in the lineup and moving him to the nickel back. Woodson left GB without signing a contract. Now, some in the Packer community will have you believe that TT has let another potential big-time FA slip through his fingers. They would be the Chicken Littles of the fans. Woodson may very well sign elsewhere, but the fact that he left does not necessarily mean that he won't sign here (see the Pickett example for the exact same scenario). It is well known that Woodson and his agents (the same ones that screwed Arrington out of millions with their incompetence) are looking for big-time $. They are not going to get it and kudos to TT for not bowing to their demands. There are other teams chasing after Woodson and I'm sure he is considering what his best move will be. Should the Pack be able to sign him, the secondary would be quite solid and allow Carroll to work on his techniques more as the nickel back.

Everyone has heard about the
cat-fight between Chmura and Favre. Chmura came out and called Favre "a selfish player" and had other complaints. Among them are that Favre never called him during his underage rape trial. Wait, Favre is selfish? Really? I never knew that! Holy stating the obvious Batman! Chmura really lays a bomb on the WI sports scene with that "inside" info. Now, about the lack of calls during the trial. Let's see, Mark is in a hot tub with several 17 year old girls and reportedly has sex with one of them. He essentially gets off given who he is and that the trial is in WI within 200 miles of GB. Mark's all pissed that another person doesn't want to get his name sullied up in that horrific mess Mark created for himself? Give me a break, like I'm suddenly supposed to feel sorry for him. Also, why now with coming out with this? Chmura simply is trying to get some 15 minutes of fame on this.

The Gift
Prior to my wife heading off to Ireland, she asked me what I wanted her to bring back. I answered that I would like some Irish Whiskey. Now, I expected a flask sized bottle or something like that. What I got simply blew me away:

She got me a whole litre of a good whiskey known as Tyrconnell, go check out their site. The name is from a horse that was a 100 to 1 shot that won the big horse race in Ireland, "The National Produce Stakes" in 1876. Horses are a huge business and source of pride in Ireland and thus the label was changed after that victory to resemble the horse running to victory. I haven't tried it yet, however I shall break it out soon with my good buddy and neighbor Shane some evening while listening to some baseball on the radio on his porch. My wifey came through huge with this gift as this is not a whiskey one can easily get here in the states. Well done I say!

5 comments:

John Burzynski said...

That is true love...my wife would never bring me back whiskey, I know that (not that we don't have ture love, I don't need her angry at me insinuating otherwise).

The Pack are in a transition period, in my opinion. Everything, coaching, roster, front office, everything. I will bet you that 3-5 years from now there will be a different coach, different GM and obviously players. I just don't see that Ron Wolf kind of decisiveness and decision making from Mr. Ted...maybe I am wrong, but I don't see anyone with a long range plan for this ballclub. Time will tell, but I just don't see anyone steppingup and saying 'this is what we are doing and the way it will be".

the Favre thing is a good example, everyone is waiting on him to make his grand pronouncement. I think that with the right personnel the guy has 2-3 good years left (even though this will probably be his last season, per his decision). But nobody in the front office seems to have the cajunes enough to say, "let us kknow by X date what you are doing or we are moving in a different direction".

Then again, in the crappy NFC north division, anything can happen this year. I want to see the Bears this year against a schedule like they will have to play, should be 3 non-division tough NFC teams as opponents because of the Bears' good performance last year.

Cheesehead Craig said...

Well TT doesn't want to be known as the guy who ran Favre out of town. Nobody does, so no one is going to say it.

TT does have a plan, it is to rebuild through the draft. The Packers are not going to win the Super Bowl in the next year or two, barring some lightning in a bottle picks. If TT can continue to have good drafts (and I believe last year's was a good one) then we should see some solid results.

I disagree with you on the new coach, GM and such in 3 years. I think these guys will stick around for at least the next 6-7 years.

Anonymous said...

Cool Craig! Sorry my comment is coming late, it has been a busy day.

Although I must admit that I'm not sure I have ever had whiskey, not even bad whiskey. So, we'll definitely see if I can hold my liquor. (doubtful)

I look forward to our first "porch sit" in the next week or two. Man am I ever glad summer is around the corner.

Cheesehead Craig said...

As am I Shane.

I have had very little whiskey in my time, but figured an Irish one would be a good one to start with.

Anonymous said...

you guys suck, Brett Favre is king. Blow me.