Monday, May 09, 2005

Ouch!

Stupid Mets. The Crew's big winning streak came to a screaching halt this weekend as their pitching staff had a case of giving-up-the-long-ball-itis. Rumor has it that all the OF had to have some extra massages as their necks were sore from watching all those balls go over their head. They did win the last game, so they prevented the sweep. The Crew is still hitting themselves and this is just a minor bump in the long season ahead.

Vindicated!
If I may crow about something here. I stated early on that Lyle Overbay was a more than fine 1B and that that Crew should trade Fielder for additional pieces of the puzzle, after this last weekend, a starting pitcher would be nice. I was generally poo-poo'd (hey, I'm potty training my daughter , so this is on my mind) about that, but after the start Lyle has had, I say HA! to those doubters. The man is just fantastic this season so far and is worthy of an All-Star bid this year, and there are those that want to trade him and bring in a guy who is so far struggling in AAA (the MLB minor league system, not the car club). If I may for a moment:

Overbay: .496 OBP (tops in MLB) 6HR 21RBI
Fielder: .365 OBP 2HR 12RBI

The biggest argument for Fielder is that he has great offensive ability, but Lyle is overshadowing him, and it's not even close. Lyle has undoubtedly along with Brady Clark, been carrying this Brewer team so far this year. I realize that Prince is only 21 yrs old and Lyle is 28. However, there should be no great rush to get Lyle shipped off and to bring up Prince. The Brewers should be signing Lyle to a multi-year deal and letting Prince get his game together more. I am backing off on the trade Fielder line, as the kid does have serious potential, just not right now, and he is maybe not needed for another 2 years, as we have an All-Star at 1B.

Spivey gets the game ball after yesterday's game. Good hitting, a great SB and if he can keep this up and get back into the type of hitting he can, the Crew are in good shape.

1 comment:

Cheesehead Craig said...

I'm already farming out the Packers columns to another site. Dare I do the same for the Brewers also? Do I put my complete lack of any knowledge up for national scorn?