Tuesday, May 31, 2005

The Champ is here!

What fantastic weather we had this weekend! Spent quite a few hours outside the house just hanging out or playing with the kids. Two big highlights of the weekend: one being that I have been crowned the backyard whiffle ball HR derby champ! In a battle of the titans (well, at least between me and Shane) it was a close contest. It was a best of 3 series of 10 pitches each that saw Shane take the 1st round with a 4-1 win. I had several HR knocked down by the copse of trees in the backyard, but that is the defining feature of the park. Round 2 saw me jump into the lead with 4 HR and Shane providing a furious rally with 2 late HR to make it 4-3, but a harmless grounder on the last hit gave me the victory for the round. A coin flip determined that Shane would start round 3 and 3 HR was the benchmark set. With a HR with my next to last AB, the score was tied and overtime was needed. 3 AB for each of us and Shane hit 1 HR out and had a 2nd fall just short of the fence. I hit the first pitch from Shane out to tie the score, as the wind started to blow in. The sweat of nervousness was flowing from the brow of Shane much like the flood waters did to Noah all those years ago. Upon swinging at the next pitch I yelled "Game Over!" as the bat hit the ball and a towering shot was put into play much like Roy Hobbs did in the final game of the World Series in The Natural.

The bigger highlight of the weekend for me was that based on the hitting prowess I put on display my 4 yr old son was for the first time willing to let me show him how to hit. He let me show him how to hold the bat and have a proper stance. I was not sure what to expect given this was his first time hitting, but he connected far more times than he missed in the 30 or so pitches. We were both having a blast and this gave me one of the best memories I'll ever have.

Oh yeah, the Brewers dropped some close games and the run support is starting to concern me. But, I spent my weekend doing more enjoyable things.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know, I've been thinking about this... at first I was not upset with losing, but now I am ticked as it is yet another example of me losing to you, Cheesehead. Can I not beat you in anything? I would accuse you of using a corked bat, but it was my bat!

I demand a rematch! I must have victory! My pride cannot take losing anymore!

Cheesehead Craig said...

We'll have a rematch. We have to get that bronzed whiffle ball trophy first. We need to make a season out of it.