Tuesday, June 14, 2005

Ahhhh, just Tuesday

Almost too damn depressing to talk about the Brewers, so let's talk about some quality ball, the Westwood Softball Club! But first, I must comment on Prince Fielder getting called up to the bigs, if nothing else than to DH. Time to see what the heralded rookie crop can now do. Prince started out 0-4 last night, but it was his first game. I expect that he'll get at least a game or two at 1B, just to see how he does. Besides, Overbay could use a break anyway. The next two weeks should be interesting to say the least. I'm predicting Prince will go yard twice while up, both over 400 feet.

Last night the might Westwood club was down 2 regulars and had to get replacements, but they still emerged victorious over Union Church 11-5. Things were tight after the first inning with the score knotted up 3-3, thanks to some inexplicably poor fielding by the Westwoodies. The source was found out as UC had a voodoo shaman using all of his black arts against us in the field. This issue was solved when a dog ran by and took his voodoo bag and ran off with it, with the shaman in chase. After several innings of good defense and little scoring, UC knew they were in trouble when in sixth inning when Westwood scored 4 times to take a 8-5 lead, so they enlisted the help of their druids, who started their rain dance/ceremony in hopes that a rainout would save them from defeat. Coming into the top of the seventh it seemed as though their druids would indeed succeed, but the Westwoodies scored another 3 runs to put the game away. A rain-soaked and defeated UC team was easily put away in the bottom of the seventh to preserve the victory. The Westwoodies showed how important the fans are and solidified thier status as fan favorites when even in the rain they stayed after for 2 minutes to sign autographs for all 7 fans in attendance.

This will be it for me until Friday as I'll be in Washington DC on a client visit. Hoping that I'll be able to get in some touristy sightseeing as I've never been there before. My hotel is right by the National Mall, so I should be able to check out the Lincoln Memorial (which is the one memorial I've always wanted to see) and I've been told I should see the Vietnam Memorial. Give you all a report when I get back.

No comments: