Tuesday, January 18, 2005

"Helen's gone, she left with the Trojans..."

Watching the movie Troy last night with my neighbors, this line was spoken when it was discovered Helen was gone. My sophomoric humor then started rolling in my head. "You mean the Trojan War was started over condoms?". I thought that people then wanted to have more children as so many died as infants. So now, of course, I have ideas of writing a parody of the Iliad a la Bored of the Rings. This would mean I would have to read the entire Iliad, but this could be some serious fun.

It was a good night overall, other than the movie, which was very good (my wife especially liked the parts involving Brad Pitt and well, his parts) we went to dinner at Fuddruckers. Shane owed me a hamburger of my choosing from an ill-advised bet (I am now 3-3 in bets with him). The wager was on who would win the NFC North, he foolishly picked the Vikings, and I took the Packers. The burger tasted that much better given it was free, topped with Viking misery. I even wore my new Packers NFC Division Champs t-shirt, just for spite. Both of our families also attended, and it was a lot of fun playing the games there with my son. He is just such a great kid that I cannot believe he has any of my genes.

Bucky Badger
I must also comment on the Wisconsin Badgers (12-3) men's basketball team. They have been outstanding this year. Their recent win over the #12 Michigan State Spartans, the 3rd time that the Badgers have beaten a top 12 team this year, only emphasizes how good they can be. Bo Ryan is creating a coaching legend at Wisconsin that will rival that of Barry Alvarez someday. They are currently #23 in the coaches poll, and not even in the AP poll. Being so low astonishes me. However, according to the latest edition of Bracketology, they are being projected as a #4 seed for the tourney and Lunardi knows his stuff. I know, it's waaaaaay early on this, but I love college hoops and these Badgers just make me all giddy.

1 comment:

SBG said...

I would have thought you'd top that burger with cheese.