Thursday, March 31, 2005

Days of our Packers

Well, there's less than a month until the NFL Draft so I figured I'd throw out who I think the Packers will take, it's sorta my wish list actually. The Packers have needs on defense that they will be needing to address this year and I expect their 4 picks in the first 3 rounds to be all defense. Yeah, yeah Brett may retire someday, but Nall is the future IMO as QB so I'm not overly concerned about getting a QB at this time.

1- Matt Roth, DE Iowa (6'4" 270). The man is a natural pass rusher. He has the ability to either bull rush or speed rush and has good pursuit abilities. He had an awesome showing at the Senior Bowl where he just toyed with OL. He has the ability to take over games a la Erasmus James and can create havoc by just pushing OL into the backfield.

2- David Pollack, DE Georgia (6'3" 265). I watched this guy against the Badgers in their Bowl game, and I was impressed as hell. The Badgers OL is a very good unit and he shredded it. The man has a very quick burst off the line. He has the monicker of an "intense" player and is a natural leader. I give Roth the nod as #1 as he has better bull rushing abilities.

3- Brodney Poole, S OK (6'3" 208) Immediate starter at FS. Outstanding ballhawk with excellent cover skills and has great quickness. He is essentially a younger version of Darren Sharper. Would be a natural addition to Bates' system.

4- Shawn Cody, DE/DT USC (6'4" 295) One of those tweeners that could play either inside or outside. Has been a consistent pass rushing force his entire career with USC, which makes him very attractive. I'll admit I haven't seen much of him, but everything I hear is great.

The draft is very deep this year on the DL, so there are a lot of options available for the Pack. I'm not going to get into 2nd round players and such as at that point, there is so much speculation involved, that it's pointless. Needless to say, there should still be other good defensive help available that will provide excellent depth. Don't expect any draft day trades from the Packers as Thompson prizes draft picks and is more likely to trade a player to get more picks, than to trade up or trade away picks.

No comments: