Thursday, March 10, 2005

Unisex

Well, Blogger is giving me fits today, so please excuse my late posting and the look of the site, there's just something going on with them. Oh well, this is free and I shouldn't complain. That and I am at home as my wife is sick as hell and I'm watching our 2 lovely kids.

Last night I attended a happy hour in honor of several of our marketing directors that were in from Chicago. Plenty of free drinks and food for all and it was a great time. One of my co-workers happen to come back from using the "facilities" and noted that it was a unisex room. Well, this prompted quite the discussions amongst the group. Now, this was the first time I was ever in a place that had one of these, so I had to go in and see it for myself. Given that I already had a few in me and we were all having a good time, I turned to one of the out-of-town marketing directors of the female persuation (who I get along great with) and said "Hey, let's go to the bathroom together!" I figured that women get to ask each other this all the time so it was time for me to get in on this action. Needless to say, she declined my offer, but it didn't stop me from going. I'm sure she is questioning my ability on working on her accounts, but it needed to be asked.

The room itself consisted of 4 stalls, 2 for each sex (clearly labeled on the top) and 4 sinks. I was awaiting my turn for the loo when a woman came out of one of the stalls. Needless to say, she was a bit shocked to see me there, whereas I was amused, she got over her embarrassment and smiled politely as she washed her hands and left. The one thing that you should realize is that if a man shows up in a women's restroom, usually that is grounds for a macing of a lifetime. However, if a woman is in the men's room, hey, it's time for a parade! Confetti falls from the ceiling, a marching band plays and guys start introducing themselves to her.

If you are ever in a place that has one of these, don't be ashamed, it's far more fun than you can possibly imagine the bathroom could be.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very, very interesting Cheesehead. I must admit though that I would rather not share a bathroom with anyone, man or woman. I wonder if Unisex bathrooms are going to be the new norm...

SBG said...

I'm not sure Kirby Puckett agrees that a woman in the men's bathroom is such a good idea anymore.